Books by Jamie Purinton
Co-author Matthew Potteiger, John Wiley & Sons, 1998. Recipient of ASLA 1998 Research & Communication Merit AwardPDF Link
Voices of the Land
Editor, photography by Charles Lindsay, Chelsea Green Publishing, 2004
- New York State Assembly Citation for the Lower Rhoda Lake Gala “for spearheading biodiversity mapping of the Lower Rhoda lake surrounds and tireless advocacy for the protection of the natural resources,” July 6, 2019.
- The Columbia County Environmental Management Council Good Earthkeeping Award in “Recognition of outstanding environmental accomplishments and contributions resulting in the preservation, improvement, and or keener understanding of the intrinsic value of the natural environment in Columbia County, ” June 27, 2016
Selected Writings on Jamie Purinton’s Work
- “A Natural Appeal,” by Tovah Martin, Flower, September/October 2019. Open PDF / https://flowermag.com/jamie-purinton-meadow-landscape-design
- “Magical Makeover,” by Tovah Martin, New York Cottage and Garden, September 2019 Open PDF
- “Take Two,” by Tovah Martin, Country Gardens, summer 2019. Open PDF Reprinted with permission from Country Gardens Magazine. ©Summer 2019 Meridith Corporations. All rights reserved. http://bhg.com
- “Blooms with a View,” by Tovah Martin, Country Gardens Spring, 2019 . Open PDF Reprinted with permission from Country Gardens Magazine.©Spring 2019 Meridith Corporations. All rights reserved.
- “For the Love of the Land,” by Christine Bates, Main Street Magazine, January, 2019. Open PDF
- “Revolutionary Thinking,” by Noel Kingsbury, Garden Illustrated, October, 2018. Open PDF
- “New York Countryside Barns inform Silvernails House by Amalgam Studio,” by Jenna McKnight, Dezeen, Fall 2018. Link to Article. Link to Article
- “Taming Wildmuir, A Historic Arts and Crafts Garden is made Sustainable,” by Tovah Martin, Old House Journal, June 2018. Open PDF
- “Field Research,” by Tovah Martin, Dwell Magazine May/June 2018. Open PDF
- “Lakeside in Litchfield County,” by Tom Christopher, Connecticut Gardener Sept/Oct 2016. Open PDF
- “Brave New Meadow,” by Tovah Martin, September/October Design New England, 2016. Link to Article
- “Productive Paradise, A hilltop garden that birds, bees, bugs, and people can dine on in style,” Garden Design Magazine, 2016. Link to Article
- “About Landscape Architects,” The Chatham Press, March 2013. Open PDF
- Steal from a Pro: Jamie Purinton, Ancram, New York. “The Idea of a Swimming Pond,” Organic Gardening, June/July 2009.
- Art Making and Studio Spaces, Lynne Perrella, Quarry Books, 2009.
- “At Home: Designing a fit between house and landscape,” Gail M. Burns, The Women’s Times, April 2006.
- “Living Tapestries: the traditional hedgerow is adapted for a diverse set of new uses and looks,” Jennifer May, Upstate House, October 2004.
- “Morning Music,” Mary Powel Thomas, Audubon Magazine, October 2004.
- “Landscape Narratives Design Practices for Telling Stories,” Book Review Julie Johnson, Landscape Journal, Spring 1999.
Selected Articles by Jamie Purinton
- “Street Stories,” with Matthew Potteiger, Public Art Review, 2003.
- “Working with Working Landscapes,” with Potteiger, Traditional Building, 2001.
- “Stone Laid in the Land,” Traditional Building, 1999.
- “116 Street Celebrating Urban Funk in NYC,” Digging in the Common Ground, Georgia Landscape, 1998.
- “The Use of Topiary in the Garden” Traditional Building, September/October 1997.
- “Finding the Ideal Planter” Traditional Building, March/April 1997.
- “Landscape Projects Enrich NYC’s Open Spaces,” New York Construction News, May 1995.
- “Planters: The Vessels of Life,” Traditional Building,, June 1995.
- “Retelling Traditions,” co-authored with Potteiger, Traditional Building and Upstate Planner, March/April 1994.
- “Seven Strategies for the Shaping of Traditional Landscapes,” with Potteiger, Traditional Building, Spring 1994.
Selected Public Presentations
- “A Discussion about Current Projects,” New York Botanical Garden Alumni Graduates, November 27, 2018.
- “Productive Gardens: A Talk for Perennial Planters,” Providence, Rhode Island February 2018.
- “Natural Resource Conservation in Your Backyard,” Ancram, New York. February 2016.
- “Listening to the Land,” Chatham New York Library. August 2013.
- Presentations on Landscape Architecture, Narrative and Garden Design: Radcliff Design Studio, 2006.
- “The Storycircle & the Design Process,” an exhibit board with Potteiger, The Newburyport Waterfront: Past and Futures. The Custom House Maritime Museum, Newburyport, Mass. May – December 1999.
- “Telling Stories/Making Places: Working Methods in Landscape Design, Public Art, and Preservation,” with Potteiger, ASLA Annual Meeting, Boston, Mass. September 1999.
- “Landscape Narratives: Working Methods for Design,” with Potteiger. Annual speakers for the Radcliffe Seminar Fall Tea, November 3, 1998.
- “The Newburyport Waterfront and the Idea of an Open Landscape,” with Potteiger, Unitarian Church Newburyport, Mass. October 16, 1998.
- Keynote address for “The Garden: An Interdisciplinary Exploration,” The Center for the Advancement of Art and Art Education at the Rhode Island School of Design, July 1998.
- “Telling Stories/ Making Places,” with Potteiger, The Urban Center, New York City, June 22, 1998.
- “Design Practices for Telling Stories,” with Potteiger, American Society of Landscape Architecture Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia Fall 1997.
- “Landscape Narratives: Design Practices for Telling Stories,” with Potteiger, City College Fall 1997 lecture series.
- Keynote address on “Telling Place and Story,” with Potteiger, NYS Art Teachers on “A Sense of Place” October 1996.
- WRPI Radio, 2004
- LTA Skidmore, 2003
- Pratt, 2002
- Harvard University, 2002
- WKZE Radio, 2002
- Conway School, 2001
- Quinebaug College, 2001 and 1999
- Cornell University Lecture Series, 1999
- SUNY Syracuse Albrecht Lecture, 1999
- Rhode Island School of Design, 1999
- Radcliffe Seminar, 1998