Books by Jamie Purinton
Co-author Matthew Potteiger, John Wiley & Sons, 1998. Recipient of ASLA 1998 Research & Communication Merit AwardPDF Link
Voices of the Land
Editor, photography by Charles Lindsay, Chelsea Green Publishing, 2004
Selected Writings on Jamie Purinton’s Work
- “Take Two,” by Tovah Martin, Country Gardens, summer 2019. Open PDF Reprinted with permission from Country Gardens Magazine. ©Summer 2019 Meridith Corporations. All rights reserved. http://bhg.com/
- “Blooms with a View,” by Tovah Martin, Country Gardens Spring, 2019 . Open PDF Reprinted with permission from Country Gardens Magazine.©Spring 2019 Meridith Corporations. All rights reserved.
- “For the Love of the Land,” by Christine Bates, Main Street Magazine, January, 2019. Open PDF
- “Revolutionary Thinking,” by Noel Kingsbury, Garden Illustrated, October, 2018. Open PDF
- “New York Countryside Barns inform Silvernails House by Amalgam Studio,” by Jenna McKnight, Dezeen, Fall 2018. Link to Article. Link to Article
- “Taming Wildmuir, A Historic Arts and Crafts Garden is made Sustainable,” by Tovah Martin, Old House Journal, June 2018. Open PDF
- “Field Research,” by Tovah Martin, Dwell Magazine May/June 2018. Open PDF
- “Lakeside in Litchfield County,” by Tom Christopher, Connecticut Gardener Sept/Oct 2016. Open PDF
- “Brave New Meadow,” by Tovah Martin, September/October Design New England, 2016. Link to Article
- “Productive Paradise, A hilltop garden that birds, bees, bugs, and people can dine on in style,” Garden Design Magazine, 2016. Link to Article
- “About Landscape Architects,” The Chatham Press, March 2013. Open PDF
- Steal from a Pro: Jamie Purinton, Ancram, New York. “The Idea of a Swimming Pond,” Organic Gardening, June/July 2009.
- Art Making and Studio Spaces, Lynne Perrella, Quarry Books, 2009.
- “At Home: Designing a fit between house and landscape,” Gail M. Burns, The Women’s Times, April 2006.
- “Living Tapestries: the traditional hedgerow is adapted for a diverse set of new uses and looks,” Jennifer May, Upstate House, October 2004.
- “Morning Music,” Mary Powel Thomas, Audubon Magazine, October 2004.
- “Landscape Narratives Design Practices for Telling Stories,” Book Review Julie Johnson, Landscape Journal, Spring 1999.
Selected Articles by Jamie Purinton
- “Street Stories,” with Matthew Potteiger, Public Art Review, 2003.
- “Working with Working Landscapes,” with Potteiger, Traditional Building, 2001.
- “Stone Laid in the Land,” Traditional Building, 1999.
- “116 Street Celebrating Urban Funk in NYC,” Digging in the Common Ground, Georgia Landscape, 1998.
- “The Use of Topiary in the Garden” Traditional Building, September/October 1997.
- “Finding the Ideal Planter” Traditional Building, March/April 1997.
- “Landscape Projects Enrich NYC’s Open Spaces,” New York Construction News, May 1995.
- “Planters: The Vessels of Life,” Traditional Building,, June 1995.
- “Retelling Traditions,” co-authored with Potteiger, Traditional Building and Upstate Planner, March/April 1994.
- “Seven Strategies for the Shaping of Traditional Landscapes,” with Potteiger, Traditional Building, Spring 1994.
Selected Public Presentations
- “A Discussion about Current Projects,” New York Botanical Garden Alumni Graduates, November 27, 2018.
- “Productive Gardens: A Talk for Perennial Planters,” Providence, Rhode Island February 2018.
- “Natural Resource Conservation in Your Backyard,” Ancram, New York. February 2016.
- “Listening to the Land,” Chatham New York Library. August 2013.
- Presentations on Landscape Architecture, Narrative and Garden Design: Radcliff Design Studio, 2006.
- “The Storycircle & the Design Process,” an exhibit board with Potteiger, The Newburyport Waterfront: Past and Futures. The Custom House Maritime Museum, Newburyport, Mass. May – December 1999.
- “Telling Stories/Making Places: Working Methods in Landscape Design, Public Art, and Preservation,” with Potteiger, ASLA Annual Meeting, Boston, Mass. September 1999.
- “Landscape Narratives: Working Methods for Design,” with Potteiger. Annual speakers for the Radcliffe Seminar Fall Tea, November 3, 1998.
- “The Newburyport Waterfront and the Idea of an Open Landscape,” with Potteiger, Unitarian Church Newburyport, Mass. October 16, 1998.
- Keynote address for “The Garden: An Interdisciplinary Exploration,” The Center for the Advancement of Art and Art Education at the Rhode Island School of Design, July 1998.
- “Telling Stories/ Making Places,” with Potteiger, The Urban Center, New York City, June 22, 1998.
- “Design Practices for Telling Stories,” with Potteiger, American Society of Landscape Architecture Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia Fall 1997.
- “Landscape Narratives: Design Practices for Telling Stories,” with Potteiger, City College Fall 1997 lecture series.
- Keynote address on “Telling Place and Story,” with Potteiger, NYS Art Teachers on “A Sense of Place” October 1996.
- WRPI Radio, 2004
- LTA Skidmore, 2003
- Pratt, 2002
- Harvard University, 2002
- WKZE Radio, 2002
- Conway School, 2001
- Quinebaug College, 2001 and 1999
- Cornell University Lecture Series, 1999
- SUNY Syracuse Albrecht Lecture, 1999
- Rhode Island School of Design, 1999
- Radcliffe Seminar, 1998